Maersk is a $30bn organisation with 100,000 people that move 20% of the world's trade, and the largest shipping and logistics company in the world. We are in the process of strengthening its development services organisation with a focus on driving predictability, reduced cost of ownership across and lowering time to value of delivery.
We are offering you a unique opportunity to help shape that journey and the future organization. As a part of this process, you will have a unique opportunity to participate in a global IT transformation program that will set the direction of the future business model for this large global organization.
We are looking for people to work on large development projects with complex IT solutions and who want to work on a major, business critical application that has a large number of users. We are looking for people to be self-motivated and have the capability to support the Digital transformation of Maersk. We need developers with a varied range of experience, who understand and can speak to all aspects of the software development life cycle and have experience with IT back-end systems providing high performance and high availability.
We offer an exciting and attractive career in an ambitious and challenging yet fun work environment.
There will be the possibility of continuous professional and personal development and for gaining a professional and social network. We offer a fast paced, challenging and truly international atmosphere with activities spread around the globe in Copenhagen, London, Charlotte, Philippines and India. The environment is dynamic with focus on high performance, outcomes, and respect for our employees. You will be the servant leader of a highly-engaged team responsible for building and deploying continues integration and continued delivery capabilities. The team will be working in a DevOps manner, and be empowered to take the lead on the capabilities build out for the product area your team is responsible for.
We do work in an agile setup, where the product owner is responsible for owning the product and push the team to deliver, and your team will be responsible in delivering the right technical solution in the right quality.
You will have counterparts located in Copenhagen, and Maidenhead.
Your will work out of the Bangalore office or remotely, and the job will require travel to Maidenhead and Copenhagen, in the first few weeks possible for an extended amount of time, but otherwise on a regular basis.
Key goals and Responsibilities:
As the Development Manager you will report to the Head of Development Enablement, you will work with the other Development Managers to ensure proper cross-country collaboration.
The goal of the development manager is:
- To have Long living self-driven effective team
- High quality development output
- Highly engaged people in the team
- Not being needed within the team as a manager
The responsibilities of the Development Manager is:
- Lead by example following the Maersk values
- Set individual objectives and personal development plans and manage the performance of the team
- Map the skills of the team and identify any training gaps
- Monitor the mood of the team and react
- Encourage, coach, mentor by giving frequent constructive feedback to maximize employee potential
- Promote team ownership and empowerment.
- Ensure people select the right work where appropriate to support individual's and team goals
- Resource and succession planning
- Create and maintain a positive and constructive environment, including the celebration of success
- Nurture Cross collaboration with likeminded teams
- Actively manage the complete recruitment and performance of vendors, and designated offshore and other Maersk location
- Development manager must be able to step in to help the team if needed
- Drive the team toward the wider Development Enablement's goals and strategy.
- Drive the right behaviours with in the team, and outside of the team.
- Balancing team utilization and ensure most efficient team structure
- Help ensure teams spend the right amount of time on the right work, 80/20 rule.
- To communicate with business and stakeholders on all levels
We are looking for
- A minimum of 5+ years' experience as a software engineer
- Experience with working on large scale global teams
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and changing business requirements
- Experience of modern cloud technologies, ARM, Terraform, docker, kubernetes
- Experience in ansible
- Experience with scripting languages like python
- Experience in working with CI/CD related solutions with a high degree of automation
- Ability to partner with software engineers and testers to identify courses of resolutions
- Experience with agile software development methodologies
- Strong methods mindset and experience with development methods and processes
- Strong Experience in working with global colleagues and managing offshore and vendor resources
- Strong believer in automating absolutely everything
- Can clearly explain the different aspects of DevOps
- Very strong communication and collaboration skills
- Know DevOps by heart
- Building a team
- Nurture team spirit
- Some project management skills is a +
- Deep understanding of Agile and DevOps
- Influence people with the DevOps and Agile understanding
- Making people understand the why of things
- Understand current and emerging technologies pertinent to the organization
- Structured and ambitious, with a highly analytical mind-set and excellent problem solving skills
- Collaborative, with strong facilitation and people skills / personal impact
- Highly motivated and work well under pressure
- Innovative, with the ability to think outside the box
- Work with others to understand the present and evolve to future
- Fact based and outcome oriented
- Diplomatic, with the ability to act in an often complex business environment
- Ability to travel on a short term basis
- Excellent English verbal and written communication is a must