We are looking for a Java Professional with a strong background in design and development of Java platforms. The candidate should have hands on exposure to design and development of user interfaces in Java as well as experience within financial services organizations. The successful candidate will be an adaptable individual, who enjoys driving projects to successful completion.
The role will work closely with onshore North American IT teams using a mix of waterfall and iterative development methodologies, delivering Java design and development.
The individual will use his/her knowledge of design, development, information security and IT architecture best practices to ensure delivery of robust applications that follow architectural processes and direction.
• Provide design and development delivery within projects that is efficient, functional and maintainable
• Apply analysis skills to understand and assess the impact of infrastructure and technical changes within the environment
• Create required design and development documentation and participate in both design and code reviews
• Provide oversight to developers for both project delivery
• Communicate effectively with operations managers, project managers, BSAs, designers and developers to solve technical issues and problems
• Learn about our internal clients’ business, existing applications, the infrastructure that supports them and the design patterns used
• Provide development and infrastructure estimates at various levels of a project to match the architectural solution
• Ensure SLF Information Security Policies are complied to in any solution
• A University degree in Computer Science, related technology degree/diploma, or equivalent experience
• Experience working in a multi-site, multi-time zone environment
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills to work effectively in a changing environment balancing operations and project delivery
• Demonstrated problem solving skills with ability to analyze situations/problems systematically and deliver effective right-sized solutions in a timely manner
• Experience with System Development Life Cycle methodologies (CMMI)
• Experience leading developers in project delivery and/or operations delivery
• Proven technical lead capabilities, able to co-ordinate work tasks for other developers
• Minimum 5years of progressive information technology experience with full application development life cycle and systems integration experience
• 5+ years of experience in development of complex systems based on J2EE framework.
• Experience with change management processes
• Aware of the Software Development Life Cycle and Quality concepts
• Ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
• UI Technologies : JSP, Bootstrap, java script, jquery, AJAX ,HTML, CSS, Spring MVC
• DevOps Tools: maven. Git with Bitbucket, Jenkins, SonarQube
• Hands on experience in Tomcat or Weblogic/Websphere servers
• Knowledge of the financial and insurance industries
Mandatory Behavioral skills:
• Collaborates effectively
◦ Drives collaboration among team members in his/ her function
◦ Presenting a supportive, united front when appropriate.
• Communicates Confidently
◦ Communicates crisply and candidly
◦ Communicates effectively across audiences (reporting managers, peers, business partners)
◦ Balances talking and listening to foster candid dialogue
• Focuses on the Customer
◦ Raises concerns and recommends potential solutions for those processes that negatively impact the customer service experience or the fair treatment of customers
◦ Helps employees understand the impact of their work on the customer/ client
◦ Organizes own work to meet agreed upon deadlines
◦ Focuses on surfacing underlying customer issues / concerns and identifying root causes
• Takes Accountability
◦ Takes steps to understand decision making processes and procedures – uses this understanding in developing work plans
◦ Escalating issues or redirecting enquiries in a timely and efficient fashion.
◦ Following up with customers when we say we will and delivering on our commitments
◦ Works under general supervision on day to day matters.
• Understands our Business
◦ Enhances understanding about the business of SLF (e.g. products and services, org structure, key competitors)
◦ Understands how his/her role relates to the Business Unit/ Function's objectives
• Self starter – A confident, self-starter who can completely “own” delivery (both project and operations) and can work independently as well as being a strong team player
• Trust - Ability to work in an open culture with a positive approach
• Flexibility – Ability to accept change, agility