Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC), a global leader in cybersecurity, operates one of the world’s largest cyber intelligence networks allowing organizations, governments, and people to secure their most important data wherever it lives. Enterprises across the world rely on Symantec for integrated cyber defense against sophisticated attacks across endpoints, infrastructure, and cloud. More than 50 million people and families rely on Symantec’s Norton and LifeLock Digital Safety Platform to help protect their personal information, devices, home networks, and identities at home and across their devices.
The General / Senior Accountant General Accountant in areas such as general and administration, sales and marketing, information technology, temporary resources and other areas as identified by management. You are versatile, motivated, creative, intellectually curious, a strong communicator and collaborator, analytical and a leader. You will use your solid accounting knowledge to ensure that accruals properly record the cost incurred in the reporting period for your assigned area by collaborating cross functionally with business partners in operating units and financial analyst and interpreting financial records to process the appropriate accrual amount. You should be able to perform deep dives into the underlying accounting assumptions and perform quantitative analysis, as well as, propose the appropriate accrual level based on your analysis. Responsibilities include making recommendations to improve accounting processes and systems by the utilization of broad accounting and business knowledge to identify accounting issues and opportunities. As a member of the global accounting operations team, you will provide critical support and collaborate with the corporate global accounting operations team, adherence to policies and procedures and completion of daily operational tasks. The Senior Accountant, Accrual Processing also maintains effective internal controls and ensures accounting activities are US GAAP compliant.
• Provides day to day accounting operations support.
• Proficiently operating in the accounting modules of an ERP System.
• Support existing and new accrual processes by working cross functionally with business partners in operating units and financial analyst.
• Prepare and Review monthly accruals that are US GAAP compliant by working cross functionally with business partners and develop an understanding of their business, communicating with appropriate vendors, review of financial records and interpretation of data based on account analysis.
• Participate in global standardization efforts for policies and procedures and related accrual processing.
• Collaborate with corporate global accounting operations team to communicate, train and enforce accrual policies with accounting operation team members.
• Motivate, engage, and provide support to the accounting operation team members and cross functional business partners.
• Participate in the monthly accounting close process as it relates to accrual accounting.
• Work closely with vendors and cross functional business partners on resolution of open items and issue tracking.
• Prepare and review variance analysis for accruals and ensure accrual levels are appropriately set by adjusting the on-going accruals with updated information.
• Prepare and review additional reporting as needed for accounting operations management and cross functional business partner reporting.
• Identify opportunities for accounting and process improvements and drive implementation of the solutions.
• Prepare and review schedules in support of internal and external audit process and requirements.
• Work with Accounting Manager and Technical Accounting on various matters for guidance and implementation of proper accounting treatment.
• Review, develop, and maintain SOX controls as the business environment changes as a result of process, system, and policy enhancements. Includes risk assessments and review of risk areas.
• Coordinate and ensures ongoing compliance with SOX.
• BS in Accounting or Finance
• CPA is desirable
• Minimum 3-5 years of global corporate accounting experience is required
• Month-end close experience including processing of accruals and advanced excel skills including macros is required
• Ability to analyze and interpret large data sets and arrive at appropriate accrual level
• Outstanding oral communication, analytical and written skills
• Ability to build strong cross-functional relationships and work collaboratively
• Attention to detail, organized and thorough with the desire for continuous improvement
• Demonstrated experience in driving process improvement
• Ability to work independently and a strong team player
• Ability to meet tight deadlines
• Working knowledge of Oracle 11i or R12 is desirable
Symantec is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and accessible environment for all employees. All employment decisions are based on merit, experience, and business needs, without regard to race, color, national origin, age, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth or related medical conditions), genetic information, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, military or veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local law. Symantec strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based on such protected characteristics and seeks to recruit the most talented candidates from diverse cultures and backgrounds.